Thursday, December 29, 2011

Another chemo done

Or do I not get to count it done until I'm disconnected Saturday?  I think since I have tingly fingers on my right hand and quite the angry belly, I'm going to count it.

Pretty uneventful today, overall.  After getting some coffee from S'bucks, I went to the 4th floor for labs.  Very fast, as usual.  The nurse asked if my Eric tattoo was for my son.  Was I supposed to get some symbol that means "husband?"  I don't know.  It's not a big deal.  I still love it.

I stayed on the 4th floor to see the nurse practicioner (my doc is on vacation).  She asks a lot of questions and is very nice to talk to.  She seemed pleased that I'm doing chemo so well.  What can I say?  I'm good at chemo.  Blood numbers are fine, mouth is fine, everything sounds fine.  She sent me on my way to the chemo lounge.

It was kind of crowded, so I ended up sitting near some people.  Two couples started up a conversation, and when I heard that one of the men had a long chemo today, I butted right in thinking maybe he had colorectal cancer.  It was bone cancer.  The woman in the other couple has breast cancer.  It was noted that I'm kind of young to be in the chemo waiting room.  I explained my deal and got murmurs and "the face."  Then it got more interesting because they all started talking about the olden days of the Vietnam war.  It was a nice way to pass the time. 

I got called back by a little tiny nurse.  She was very sweet, but kept struggling with the curtains and my chemo tower.  She heated up my lunch and it was actually hot.  And she told me to help myself to the water.  I appreciate that.  I'm not an invalid.  I can get my own water (and juice, lots of grape juice).  I forgot my turtlepod, so I listened to Hugh Laurie's cd on my phone for a while.  I busted out Daria and watched that until Eric and the kids bounded in to rescue me.

I mostly feel very tired.  Tingly fingers.  Room temperature water is too cold.  My belly is angry.  It's kind of a drag.

However.  The sun was shining today.  It wasn't so cold this afternoon that I had to wear gloves like a big dork.  I drank a lot of ice water until the oxy kicked in.  My smiling laughing kids perked me up.  I took a little nap when I got home.  I wrote several letters THAT I PROMISE TO MAIL SOON.  I wrote in my prayer journal for a long time and my hand didn't even get tired.  This evening I laid on my bed and read a book (thank you, Eric).  There is sweet tea on the counter just for me (thank you again, Eric!).  I'm able to easily walk to and from the bathroom at the cancer center (and elsewhere).  I met some cool people today.  Coffee was great!  I felt more peace today (thank you, God). 

Sometimes I can't believe how blessed I am, how blessed our family is.  There was a time when I thought things could be better, that we could have more, that we could be happier.  I didn't see the blessings around me at all.  I don't think God gave me cancer.  This is an imperfect world, and that's why cancer exists.  There's a reason He allowed it to happen.  I think the reasons are starting to be revealed to me.  Not to be all churchy on you, but finally seeing the blessings in everyday life is pretty awesome.

The plan for the next few days?  Relaxing.  Keeping my fingers warm.  Ringing in the New Year in a quiet, peaceful way.

I really appreciate everyone's prayers and thoughts. :)

4 comments:

  1. Sheri, I just wanted you to know that the things that have happened in your life have really affected me. I have been more aware of the blessings God has given to me. The little things in life really matter. I find that I see God everyday, just lookiing out my door. I have been closer to God in the past two years than I have ever been. I find myself talking to Him all the time. I pray for my family every day. I so appreciate your Blog!!! Thank you for revealing your feelings. I feel I really know you and I am so happy that I do. I love you so much! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheri - I don't know if you remember waaaaay back I told you about a close friend of ours from North Branch who has been living with a colostomy for over 40 years. It just so happens that he is a very committed Christian, and always sends a Christ-centered Christmas letter - and this Christmas was another good one! I am including my favorite part to share with you. "God often uses little children to teach us solid Christ-like messages. One of the latest for me was at the graduation celebration of our nephew's daughter. Our son-in-law lined up two of our youngest granddaughters in the backyard to race one another. He did the traditional Ready, Set - Go. On Go, THEY REACHED OUT AND TOOK ONE ANOTHER'S HAND and to my surprise, THEY RAN THE RACE TOGETHER HAND IN HAND. How can we lose in this challenging race we all endure if our family, friends, neighbors and loved ones do likewise? Sadly, as we mature in our pride and self-serving nature, we fail loved ones, ourselves and God. It's never too late, there is hope and we can humbly readjust. Take His hand and the hand of someone close - or someone far away - and we will share at the goal line, everlasting rewards." . . . Brad Whipps, 2011
    God's blessings and peace to you, Sheri - and to Eric, and the kids!
    Sending our love, Missy & David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherry, just started reading your blog. I had colon cancer 3 years ago, and breast cancer the year after that. I like what you said about God not giving you cancer, but allowing it to happen. I feel the same way. I was amazed to discover just how blessed I truly am. The closeness I felt to God while going through treatment was also amazing. I used to talk with Him and read the Bible while awake in the middle of the night on my steroid buzz. I sometimes miss those late night God times. I continue to praise and thank Him daily, and am trying not to lose that closeness as my life gets busier. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I enjoy your writing and will be following along.
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! I totally understood! You Go Girl!

    ReplyDelete