Wednesday, July 21, 2010

So I met one of the doctors in the family practice we'll be using (or hopefully NOT using...stay healthy, Jahners!). I was supposed to see the female doc (it's a husband and wife practice) but she got tied up at the hospital. One of the goals of my appointment was to get a pap and pelvic, but I decided I'd rather have a woman for that. If he wanted to examine my ass, yeah, sure, whatever. Lots of people have seen my ass. But we did end up talking about my other reason for the appointment, which was to be directed to an oncologist. He did have one in mind to recommend. We talked a little about my experience and I started to get emotional. Then he asked me about the kids and I lost it.

He handed me the kleenex and said some comforting words and then offered to pray for me. I always appreciate positive thoughts and prayers, so that was nice.

The last thing I expected to do was get emotional at this point. I mean, I'm freaking DONE, right? I guess there will be a scan here and there, and random appointments to see the oncologist. It seems the feelings one has during cancer treatment linger after it's all done. I don't know why I thought they wouldn't. And how ironic, today I threw out the rest of my prozac prescription.

Overall, I think I'm okay. The whole doctor's office thing was like an unwanted flashback. I haven't seen a doctor (aside from a couple wound care check ups) since the surgeon removed the port. I don't know.

Anyway I'll be going back for the pap and pelvic with the lady doctor this weekend. Fun, fun. I'm a little nervous about sticking anything but dialators up there, but I'm sure it will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment